9/18/07

Diplo + Switch @ Metro: Review

It was a long trip just to see Switch and Diplo in their Mad Decent Tour, I traveled all the way from Mexico City and the gig was exactly on Mexico's Independence day (September the 15th) not very patriotic to see couple of "Gringos". But I'm a big fan of Switch's productions and Diplo's DJ sets, I was convinced that to watch them together, worth the travel, especially when they just release new M.I.A. album, Kala.

Here's my review:

I arrive late to Metro, There was 3 years ago when I went to the Smart Bar to see Justin Long playing and suddenly a rush of memories hit me, there was this emblematic place again, this is were all the Chicago's underground music is constantly renewed. It was quite a challenge for Switch and Diplo, both foreigners in a world of a very demanding audience.

As I was saying, I arrive late when Switch was already playing he was playing for 15 minutes so far, I missed James Amato (damn!) that was a petty because I enjoy his Chunky/Funky/Jackin' Sets.

My opinion is that Switch didn't quite "connect" with the audience, he played a little longer than hour an a half. And have his moments: an XR2 remix, Bump remix, This is Sick (off course), Making Me Money, some Basement Jaxx and a Diplo Cameo with a Horn.

I believe it was too much Switch, songs and remixes and almost nothing from the rest of the Grime/Tech scene. Anyway, I enjoyed it, as I said I'm a big fan.

Diplo's set was quite good (not to risky), My best moments were with: Young Folks, Paper Planes, Le Tigre, Gaiola das Popozudas (the baile Funk part was pretty good but too little in my opinion), But the best of all was when he get almost everybody in the stage to dance right beside him, he put an old skool house/electro song and then Debbie Deb with When I Hear Music...

A little of that moment is in this not too good video taked by me , and other that I found on the web, that is way better and around the same moment, You can see me taking the video, hahaha.





He put some house music, Shake n' Pop, Percolator, my expectatives were higher in this particular genre (you know - Chicago!!!).

A lot of M.I.A. in my opinion (like 5 song or so), I like M.I.A., a lot, but was a little too much.

I believe it was the perfect amount of Hip-Hop (just a little detail in the set, like a Cherry in the cake).And in the end... Elvis with Jailhouse Rock, excellent!!

You can download similar sets of Diplo as Podcasts in itunes under "Mad Decent Radio".

No comments: